“On average, people with diagnosed diabetes have medical expenditures approximately 2.3 times higher than what expenditures would be in the absence of diabetes,” says the American Diabetes Association.
Diabetics know how COSTLY it can be with regular endocrinologists visits, test strips or other glucose monitors, prescriptions, and the occasional emergency visit.
And that’s just for the diabetes, not to mention all of their other medical expenses!
The American Diabetes Association also said, “People with diabetes who do not have health insurance have 60% fewer physician office visits and are prescribed 52% fewer medications than people with insurance coverage—but they also have 168% more emergency department visits than people who have insurance.”
Basically, without proper coverage, diabetics don’t get the care they need and spend more on emergency medical care.
Even when you have insurance, the monthly premiums, co-pays, and prescriptions can add up.
When the plan isn’t specifically meant for diabetics, the costs can at times be OVERWHELMING.
That’s why CMS has approved specific plans that are tailored to the needs of diabetics and others with chronic conditions.
8 ways a Chronic Special Needs Plan could SLASH expenses for diabetics:
- Prescriptions-Drugs that are regularly needed for the treatment of chronic conditions have lower co-pays when compared to other plans. This will save a lot in the long term.
- Specialists– Endocrinologists visits may have a $0 co-pay instead of the normal copay amount for a specialist. This way the specialist that diabetics see most won’t break their bank.
- Premiums– these plans are a type of Medicare Advantage plan, and often have $0 premiums. If you currently have a Medicare Supplement (or Medigap) plan, you know that these premiums can costs hundreds of dollars a month. Sometimes these types of plans fit your needs well, other times the cost can be burdensome.
- Diabetes Management & Prevention Programs-these help make lasting behavioral changes for a healthier life.
- Diabetic Supplies-this is a big one. These plans will often cover the cost of diabetic supplies at 100%!
- Transportation– lets face it, sometimes we just don’t feel up to driving or don’t have the means to do so. These plans may cover the cost of transportation for a limited amount of trips to and from appointments.
- Chronic Meals– These plans may also provide a limited Chronic Meal benefit for the days the beneficiary needs it.
- Over the Counter Benefit– It’s surprising how much you purchase that can be considered “over the counter”. Things like toothpaste, Tylenol, ibuprofen, or masks and gloves may be covered by a quarterly allowance with this benefit. This can add up to hundreds of dollars a year in savings.
The Chronic Special Needs Plan (C-SNP for short) is a plan that, as you can see, was tailor made to better fit the needs of those with, you guessed it, Chronic conditions like diabetes mellitus type 1 and type 2.
These plans are a type of Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) that has your coverage from Original Medicare along with benefits such as:
- Lower out of pocket costs
How do I get these benefits?
By speaking with a licensed health insurance specializing in Medicare, you can find out if a C-SNP plan is available in your area.
For most Medicare Advantage Plans, you can only enroll during the Annual Election Period each year from Oct 15 – Dec 7, or if you have a Special Enrollment Period.
However, C-SNPs are the exception. Each Medicare Beneficiary with a qualifying chronic condition has 1 Special Enrollment Period each year to enroll in a C-SNP.
If you qualify, you can take advantage of the increased benefits for diabetics and other medical expenses without breaking the bank NOW!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “Special Needs plan was far superior than my previous one”
Slash expenses now with a Diabetes CSNP!
As an agent, Levi will help you get a plan tailored for Diabetics with increased SAVINGS and BENEFITS. Click below! 👇